Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Enthusiasm

Yesterday I had a surgery on my eyes. I've been seeing this doctor on and off for about a year now. He is starting to warm up to me.

Before the surgery he was talking with us (nat was there) about what he was going to do etc. Somehow he mentioned that he was married and I asked for how long. He has been married for about 5 years and his wife is due any day now with their baby. This will be their second child. He also said that his wife is a doctor as well. He promptly asked if we have any kids.

Then came a statement that was not solicited, but offered by his enthusiasm. He said in effect:

"Had I known what a sweet, beautiful and fulfilling experience this is, I would have started having kids 10 years ago. But, now I am an old man and am trying to catch up."

We both were touched by his sincerity. It is nice to see people that value familial relationships. We too look forward to the day when the planets align and we are able to start a family of our own.

Bryan

(I think I might have some grammatical or tense errors in this post, but my anesthetized brain can't seem to figure it out)

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Gah! How awkward. People don't think. Did you say anything? I would have been humiliated if I were him, but it would have kept me from saying something like that to someone else. Of course, I can never think of something tactful to say in those situations.

And also, when you do have a kid people will immediately start asking you when you're going to have another until you have more than they think you should and then they comment about that. It never ends.

When I first read this I thought you said "when the plants align." Time to rethink the landscaping?

Natalie and Bryan said...

We told him that we didn't have kids. I didn't think it was awkward at all. It could have been awkward if his motive had been different (like it is so commonly among the potential grandparents).

Naturally a couple may or may not have kids, and the only way to find out is to ask. His comment was not made with the intent to encourage us to have kids. It was a sincere observation from a man who was excited to welcome his second child (gender unknown) into the world at any impending time.

To us it was inspiring to see this man who is in a relationship where both parties are very concerned about their careers (both doctors), and yet spoke so admirably of the merits of parenthood.

Alex Solla said...

So what's going on with your eyes that they were needing surgery? Prognosis?

RE: the whole having kid question... when my ex-wife Leah and I were living in Logan folks waited all of 20 days before asking when we were going to have another kid. That was surprising.

Nancy is frequently asked why she and I arent trying to have kids. That can be awkward.

As for planets lining up,... I'm worried you might be looking in the wrong direction. :)

Have fun!

cheers

Natalie and Bryan said...

Alex, isn't having kids all about the orientation of venus, mars and the sun? Certainly it doesn't have anything to do with sex :)