Sunday, October 28, 2007

Space Derby

Every October our ward does a pine wood derby. Since we have virtually no boy scouts it becomes an entire ward free for all. There are no rules, limitations or restrictions! This year we did a space derby. Given the structural design of my rocket I thought it fitting to christen it "Skeletor."

I've learned two key points about space derbies from this experience. To win you need 1. a good rocket design, 2. a good feel for winding the rubber bands. My first run blew the propeller off my opponent. The second run I wound the propeller the same number of times, but the elastics had stretched, thus producing less thrust. Unfortunately I lost.

However, having learned this lesson in a single elimination tourney, I decided afterwards to race the #1 and #2 rockets. Turns out that the cause of my loss was in no way attributed to a poor design. I rocked their socks.

Next year ...

(I'm lazy when it comes to creating these videos so there are many pictures that I should have not included, but the "automovie" option is just so enticing)


No comments: