Tuesday, March 31, 2009

April Fools

This week I am doing an April Fools centered program at the nursing home where I work for my internship. I sing a bunch of parody songs and then pull a few jokes on the residents. For one joke I pretend to see a fly zooming around the room, grab a fly swatter and then smash it (a raisin) on a chair. I then pick it up and eat it. That one got some nice "yuck" faces from the residents. My favorite joke is my brownie poo though. I thickened up a brownie mix with some extra flour and then molded it into little poo shapes. May I say that replicating poo is truly an artform? I was very proud of the results. For the program I set one out of sight of the residents before hand and then pretend to accidentally find it in between one of the songs. I call a nurse over to grab a tissue to pick it up with. She picks it up and shows it to the residents. They all are grossed out. We discuss whether it's from a cat or a dog (they have pets living in the nursing home). I decide to try eating it to find out and I get a really great reaction from the residents, especially when I offer them some. Then I say "April Fools!" and some of them laugh. After my supervisor clarifies a few more times that it isn't real poo everyone else chuckles and breaths a sigh of relief. I still get to do the program 2 more times this week so I am looking forward to it. I get better at the dead pan face when I eat the poo every time. This may sound crude to you, and I admit that I too think that it is. But it sure is worth it for a laugh! Here's a pic of my brownies:
-Nat

4 comments:

Natalia said...

poo never looked so good! Actually it doesn't look good at all, it looks just like poo...i might have to try this one out though, to bad jon already saw it. He said, "that looks like Hendrix's poo!" There's a little crudeness for you! We are very impressed with your poo-making skills.

CourtneyB said...

Wow . . . those are so realistic that I don't think I'd be able to eat one! You are hilarious!!! (:

Katharina said...

Nat, you are a character. Love your therapeutic intrtventions!
Along those lines, my dad's favorite potluck contribution used to be a cake in a catbox, topped with hand sculpted tootsie rolls. To this day the thought makes me cringe.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

That poop looks fantastic.

Great job!