Thursday, November 6, 2008

Survival

It's a good thing babies have many survival instincts. Pearl's instinct to turn her head to the side when she spits helps her not drown in her own spit up. Her instinct to cry when she wants something- food for example, helps her not to starve (though she could definately time her meals better sometimes). This week she has learned to start smiling and I have decided that can also be included under the category of survival instincts because it has helped me to not want to ship her off to China to be raised as a factory worker. The past couple of weeks Pearl has become what some call a "colicky" baby. She started crying for no apparent reason all day long. All day long. She just about drove her parents mad. We tried different medicines, soothing techniques, music; you name it, we tried it. So, when she started to smile this week both Bry and I just ate it up! She really makes us work for it though. We have to sit and coax her continuously to get her to smile. And of course she won't really smile when a camera is pointing at her. Here's a pic of a half smile:



On a different note, I think I turned a corner today in being a mom. Pearl was miraculously good and even cuter than usual, so I just held her and walked around with her, talking to her and showing her things around the house. It was so entertaining. I felt sad to put her down when I had to do things for myself. In times past, especially the past few weeks I have wished I had more time to do things for myself so I could get some satisfaction out of being slightly productive for the day. But I realized that her life is passing by as I am "being productive" and I am missing it. It's not worth it anymore to get things done for myself, at least to an extent. I'm really starting to dig this motherhood thing.

-Nat

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Sweet girl. We had that bouncer and the "vibrator" was a life saver with my kids.

Spendloves said...

So true! Our little ones will be grown before we know it! I'm glad she is smiling now. There is definitely nothing more rewarding than that. I'm sending you an email to answer your questions on my blog. C*

Jeremy and Sarah said...

I love Dr. Karp. He saved us from the colic days of no sleep and constant crying.